Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Aicha/Aisha/Ieeeeshaaaa

I semi-hung out with my roommate and her family this weekend. It was mostly them enjoying family time and vino while I hung out on the outskirts, playing Xbox (because I am cool). But we also had a little salsa time, and my roomie played this salsa version of Aicha.

Me: "I've never heard this song as a salsa!"
My roommate: "There's another version?"

Okay, Aicha is a beautiful song and there are like 8,000 versions. But for those of you who have been missing out, here's a moderate retrospective:

The original and, in my opinion, still best:


The fascinating Aisha, a salsa version from Senegal:


But if you grew up in the 80s and 90s, you probably thought I meant the song below. Which, in retrospect, is pretty weird. Why did we think this stuff was cool?:


There's also a version by the Copenhagen band, Outlandish, but it's really too horrible to contemplate. Note that I posted a video from Another Bad Creation and I'm saying that.

No comments: